Table of Contents
How Can You Use Extreme Performance in Your Business?
Oracle's engineered systems simplify IT operations and lower your costs with extreme performance—accelerated deployments, high-speed processing, and lightning-fast analytics. Click the name of an engineered system to learn more.Oracle Exadata Database MachineOracle Exalogic Elastic CloudOracle SuperClusterOracle Virtual
ApplianceOracle Database ApplianceOracle Exalytics
MachineOracle Big Data ApplianceOracle ZFS Storage Appliance
1Table of ContentsChapter 1: Why Engineered Systems? 3Chapter 2: Oracle Exadata Database Machine 7Chapter 3: Oracle Exalogic Elastic Cloud 11Chapter 4: Oracle SuperCluster 15Chapter 5: Oracle Virtual Compute Appliance 19Chapter 6: Oracle Database Appliance 23Chapter 7: Oracle Exalytics In-Memory Machine 27Chapter 8: Oracle Big Data Appliance 31Chapter 9: Oracle ZFS Storage Appliance 35Chapter 10: Extreme Performance, Extreme Support 41Resources 472
- The Fastest Database Machine for Data Warehousing and OLTP
- Engineered to empower, Oracle Exadata Database Machine runs all workloads with extreme performance that makes you take a second look at database computing. Exclusively designed to run Oracle Database, Oracle Exadata is the ultimate, fully integrated database system for the data center and for the cloud, and the first database machine that’s optimized for data warehousing, online transaction processing (OLTP), and workload consolidation.
- Procter & Gamble completed specific point-of-sale data queries up to 30 times faster, reducing IT costs with 15 times the data compression.
Watch the Video (1:43)
- Orbitz realized 4 times better performance with its mission-critical hotel search engine and delivered 30 percent more data.
Watch the Video (1:23)
- Improving system performance helped Robi Axiata increase productivity, which translated into savings of more than US$1.3 million over three years.
Watch the Video (1:02)
Radical processing speeds, significantly faster deployments, instant visuals for in-depth analysis, and big data that's finally manageable. Oracle's engineered systems bring extreme performance to every layer of the technology stack and every aspect of your business.
Extreme performance—getting the job done faster, better, or more efficiently than it has ever been done before. It's the hallmark of Oracle's engineered systems and the ultimate embodiment of Oracle's drive to simplify IT.Video: Oracle engineered systems simplify IT by delivering hardware and software engineered to work together.Watch the Video (4:31)
It's All in There
With an inclusive "in-a-box" strategy, Oracle's engineered systems combine best-of-breed hardware and software components with game-changing technical innovations. Designed, engineered, and tested to work together, Oracle's engineered systems can power the cloud and streamline data center operations to make traditional deployments even more efficient.3
Engineered for Extreme Performance
For Oracle customers, extreme performance is not only about speedier query results or significantly higher throughput. It's not only about going from box to clustered database in a few hours, or how users can deploy an application with just a few clicks.
Extreme performance is about taking advantage of new opportunities, discovering new areas of efficiency, and enabling innovation to deliver the kind of results and business performance that simply weren't possible—until now.
The components of Oracle's engineered systems are preassembled for targeted functionality and then optimized—as a complete system—for extreme performance. That means everything you're doing gets kicked up a notch or two—or more.4
Engineered to Solve ProblemsThe key to making performance extreme? Load data fast, process it fast, and put it back fast. Simple, right?Read More
The extreme performance designed into every Oracle engineered system helps reduce risk, lower costs, and maintain the highest IT availability in traditional data centers and the cloud. Oracle's engineered systems deploy faster, integrate seamlessly with existing IT environments, and provide the kind of customer experience that helps your users do what they need to do faster, better, and more efficiently.
The Oracle Applications business lines—including Oracle E-Business Suite, Oracle Hyperion, and Oracle’s JD Edwards EnterpriseOne, PeopleSoft, and Siebel—have announced Oracle In-Memory Applications for Oracle’s engineered systems. With these applications, you turn wait time into work time as you move batch and overnight jobs into an on-demand environment and make data intelligence for transactions available in real time. Read More.
- Reduce risk and lower costs. Read More
- Keep IT available. Read More
- Consolidate IT environments. Read More
- Simplify cloud. Read More
Engineered to Transform
By taking the guesswork out of these high-availability, purpose-built solutions, Oracle delivers a sophisticated simplicity that's completely integrated throughout every layer of the technology stack, and that translates into less risk and lower costs for your business.Video: Oracle engineered systems enable business innovation.Alex Latham, VP of Systems Operations and Development, NovationWatch the Video (3:21)
Nowhere is the Oracle promise of "hardware and software engineered to work together" more apparent than in Oracle's engineered systems as they transform your organization, ignite innovation, and drive results.Less risk, lower costs, extreme performance. Only from Oracle.Read More6
The number of success stories for Oracle Exadata Database Machine grows daily. The specifics vary, but eventually they all reach the same conclusion: high expectations for extreme performance are met—and often exceeded—when customers put Oracle Exadata to work.Video: Radio Systems innovates and gets to market fast with Oracle Exadata.Matthew See, Senior Oracle Technical Architect, Centric ConsultingWatch the Video (1:36)
The Data Center Revolution
Oracle launched a revolution when it unveiled Oracle Exadata as a complete and fully integrated database system in 2008. Since that introduction, Oracle has continued to upgrade Oracle Exadata to anticipate and meet the needs of customers around the world.
Designed to run Oracle Database and engineered for extreme performance, Oracle Exadata is the first database machine optimized for data warehousing, online transaction processing (OLTP), and workload consolidation.7
Oracle listened when customers discussed the challenges of getting timely, consistent results from their IT systems—even as vast new data streams required more capacity and constant budget pressures made efficiency a requirement. Oracle Exadata transforms the way you look at computing with
Video: "With Oracle Exadata, the bulk of the reports that were taking up to five minutes now take just seconds."Douglas Miller, Director of Global Database Development and Operations, R.L. PolkWatch the Video (1:42)
- Extreme performance and availability
- Flexibility, optimized for all database workloads
- Fast, simple deployments and easier management
- Simple, cost-effective scalability with smart optimizations
Engineered for Performance
With more than 30 years’ experience in building the world’s best database, Oracle knows what is required to deliver performance—from query and transaction speed to uptime. Unique technical capabilities in Oracle Exadata dramatically improve performance for all types of database applications.Innovative technologies make extreme performance possible with Oracle Exadata.Read More8
A fast CPU is a good place to start building extreme performance, but Oracle Exadata needed more. Oracle’s Exadata Storage Servers combine smart storage software and industry-standard hardware to significantly increase data bandwidth between the database server and storage. Use Exadata Storage Servers with other innovative Oracle technologies—including Exadata Smart Scan, Exadata Smart Flash Cache, and Exadata Hybrid Columnar Compression—and you begin to realize what extreme performance can mean for your business.3-D Product Demo: Look inside Oracle Exadata.Launch Demo
Customers Appreciate Results
What do customers get with Oracle Exadata at work in their business?
- Turkcell saw report run times that were 10 times faster, eliminating long wait times for business intelligence. Watch the Video (3:11)
- Orbitz deployed its hotel search engine on Oracle Exadata to provide a better customer experience. Watch the Video (1:23)
- WestJet put Oracle Exadata at the heart of its Tier 1 infrastructure—the systems that require continuous availability and can’t be down.
Watch the Video (5:44)
- LinkShare realized database query speeds that were 8 times faster. Watch the Video (2:52)
- Garmin saw 20 to 50 percent performance improvements on critical processes depending on Oracle Advanced Supply Chain Planning applications. Watch the Video (1:56)
Lower Your Costs and Raise Expectations
If you’re using fewer servers to do more, you save on operational costs by reducing floor space and lowering power and cooling costs. If you can use a single server for mixed workloads, you need fewer servers. If the deployment, maintenance, and management of your engineered system have been consolidated and simplified so that everything is managed from a single console, you can deploy systems faster and save time.Video: Oracle Exadata: World’s Fastest Database Machine.Juan Loaiza, Senior Vice President, Systems Technology, OracleWatch the Video (5:10)
Consider the opportunities that come with a solution engineered to run Oracle Database faster and more efficiently—on all workloads, in the cloud, and in the data center. A faster response for customers and users and a quick time to market are just the beginning.
Oracle Exadata Database Machine. Only from Oracle.10
Business applications should help users do business better. Whether you want to respond to customers faster, consolidate reports sooner, or get the right product to market before the competition, you need extreme performance and less complexity.Video: Ingersoll Rand saw 41 times faster performance on average for concurrent requests from Oracle E-Business Suite.Barry Bonar, Enterprise Architect, Ingersoll RandWatch the Video (2:28)
Extreme Performance Waits for No One
Ask your users. They'll tell you they need business applications that help them take advantage of market opportunities and make better decisions faster. They want the latest applications at their fingertips, and they want them available 24/7.
They'll also tell you they don't want to wait—for new applications to be deployed or for old ones to be upgraded. They especially don't want to wait for fixes to IT issues that can affect their work and your bottom line.11Video: Run applications faster with Oracle Exalogic Elastic Cloud.Watch the Video (2:32)
What's the Goal?
Can your current IT infrastructure support the business applications you're running today? How about the ones you'll be running tomorrow?
Oracle Exalogic Elastic Cloud is an integrated platform for running business applications. One of Oracle’s engineered systems, it's a complete solution with hardware, software, networking, and storage—everything you need—in a single machine. And everything in Oracle Exalogic—from applications to disk—is engineered, integrated, optimized, tested, and certified to work together.Video: "The increased performance of the Exalogic platform will enable PHH to develop new products… and [provide] more timely access to information for our clients."Chris Brewer, VP, Platform Technologies, PHHWatch the Video (2:17)12
Oracle SuperCluster delivers unprecedented price/performance. It meets the demands of today's diverse data centers by helping you consolidate Oracle Database, Oracle Applications, and third-party applications and providing the ideal platform for deploying database and private cloud services.
Fact: Oracle SuperCluster—Oracle’s fastest and most scalable engineered system—combines the world’s fastest processors with Exadata Storage Servers that are optimized to work with Oracle Database.
Integrated, Optimized, Extreme Performance
Oracle SuperCluster delivers a single solution to handle all types of enterprise workloads. It's an unmatched combination of the highest levels of performance, availability, and operating efficiency, and includes
15Oracle SuperCluster offers the flexibility you want at every level.Read More
- Faster database performance with bundled Oracle Exadata storage servers
- Faster Java application performance with optional Oracle Exalogic Elastic Cloud software
- High-availability configuration options with remote disaster recovery
Consolidating Diverse Environments
By using Oracle SuperCluster to consolidate environments in your data center, you can greatly reduce the risk, cost, and complexity of your IT systems. Oracle SuperCluster includes Oracle's flexible, low-overhead virtualization and powerful system management tools to help you rapidly deploy high-performance applications, consolidate complex enterprise workloads, and replace aging servers. With Oracle SuperCluster you can
Video: HDFC Securities reshapes operations with Oracle SuperCluster.Watch the Video (6:13)16
- Consolidate diverse workloads— including database, middleware, and web applications—on a single server
- Increase server utilization and reduce the number of servers you need to manage and maintain
- Efficiently consolidate different tiers of an enterprise application and securely consolidate multiple applications without sacrificing performance
Extreme Performance in a Single Rack
Oracle SuperCluster combines hardware and software that's preintegrated at the highest levels and then optimized and tuned as a complete system. The best-of-breed components and leading-edge technology that give Oracle SuperCluster extreme performance include
- Oracle's powerful T-series processors with advanced computing power
- Oracle Solaris 11 with its unique forward- and backward-compatibility for optimal scalability and reliability
- Oracle’s Exadata Storage Servers optimized for faster Oracle Database performance
- Oracle Exalogic Elastic Cloud for faster Java middleware performance
- Oracle ZFS Storage Appliance with versatile, high-performance storage
Oracle SuperCluster is designed to help your business get faster results.3-D Product Demo: Oracle SuperCluster T5-8—Engineered for performance and efficiency.Launch Demo173-D Product Demo: Oracle SuperCluster M6-32—Oracle’s most scalable engineered system.Launch Demo
Engineered for Extreme Efficiency
Oracle SuperCluster is shipped preassembled and preinstalled, resulting in unprecedented savings in both the time and effort required to bring a system to production.
Whether your goal is improving system utilization, reducing energy consumption, conserving data center floor space, or creating a cloud computing infrastructure, Oracle SuperCluster offers a fast, tested, and certified platform.
Extreme efficiency and extreme savings. Extreme performance from Oracle SuperCluster.18
Think about it. You move the rack into place and connect the power, network, and storage cables. Then you power on the system. The hardware and software environment is installed and configured automatically, and within minutes, the system is ready for you to deploy VMs—using Oracle VM Templates or from scratch.
One Platform for All Your Applications
Oracle Virtual Compute Appliance is an engineered system that lets enterprises rapidly deploy and easily manage virtual resources in their production data centers and development environments. It accelerates your time-to-service with fast, repeatable deployment of a full-stack virtual infrastructure for virtually any x86 application and workload.Video: Go on a walk-through to see how Oracle Virtual Compute Appliance can make a difference in your business.Watch the Video (12:34)19
Traditional systems can take days or weeks to be production-ready. But with Oracle Virtual Compute Appliance, it takes just hours.
The “wire-once,” fully assembled Oracle Virtual Compute Appliance integrates compute, network, and storage resources in a software-defined fabric that lets IT managers implement a converged infrastructure for a broad mix of applications and guest operating systems, including Linux, Oracle Solaris, and Microsoft Windows. Oracle Virtual Compute Appliance comes fully assembled and ready to run production workloads with minimal, software-defined configuration. Customers save hundreds of hours in labor and can also lower their risk of physical and software configuration errors.
Fact: Oracle Virtual Compute Appliance integrates with networking and storage environments, making it easy to rehost existing applications and deploy new applications that use existing data.
It’s All in There
Oracle Virtual Compute Appliance incorporates the following components, already preintegrated and preassembled from the factory.
- Oracle’s Sun x86 servers
- Oracle Fabric Interconnect
- Oracle ZFS Storage Appliance
- Oracle SDN (Software-Defined Networking) for software-defined configurations
- Oracle VM for server virtualization
- Oracle Virtual Compute Appliance controller software for managing and monitoring the system
- Oracle Enterprise Manager for cloud management
Fact: Oracle Fabric Interconnect simplifies data center management by letting you dynamically connect any server to any network and storage. The result is as much as 100 times faster server management.
What’s in It for You?
Oracle Virtual Compute Appliance gives enterprises a wide range of business benefits, including
- Faster time to market. The ability to respond quickly to market needs by provisioning applications faster in a virtualized environment.
- Improved business agility. With its flexible infrastructure, Oracle Virtual Compute Appliance lets you dynamically provision virtual machine resources once they’re up and running.
- Simplified cloud deployments. Cloud computing is a common goal for many IT departments, but integrating the components needed to deploy cloud can be difficult. Oracle Virtual Compute Appliance includes Oracle Enterprise Manager’s Cloud Control feature, so it comes ready to deliver a private cloud infrastructure right out of the box.
- Fewer risks for the business. Oracle Virtual Compute Appliance provides support for a mix of applications and guest operating systems in the same infrastructure.
- Easy scalability. Expand on your time line by adding compute nodes when you need them one—or more—at a time.
- Lower costs and improve user service levels. The flexibility to license Oracle software on a virtual CPU basis.
- A single point of contact. Oracle Virtual Compute Appliance is the first converged infrastructure system from a single vendor which makes it easier to get service, support, and solutions.
Only Oracle delivers the deep integration among hardware, virtualization, and applications that speeds the deployment of the complete application stack, saving you weeks of effort.
One platform for all your applications. Oracle Virtual Compute Appliance.22
The benefits of Oracle's engineered systems aren't limited to large enterprises. With Oracle Database Appliance, midsize businesses—as well as department-level organizations—can dramatically reduce the time, risk, and costs usually associated with deploying a high-availability database or solution-in-a-box.Analyst Report: Research by ORC International found that DBAs could save 835 hours in the first year of system implementation and 669 hours in subsequent years.1Read the Report
Use the World's #1 Database Today
Oracle Database Appliance delivers a complete package—software, server, storage, and networking—that's engineered for easy deployment, so you can get to work in a few hours instead of a few days. It offers high availability, making it ideal for a range of OLTP, data warehousing, and application workloads.
Organizations around the globe are taking advantage of this Oracle engineered system that makes deploying the world's #1 database easy—at a cost that makes it practical.
1 "Time Savings and Ease of Deployment Comparison Study, Oracle Database Appliance vs. Microsoft SQL Server, January 2012," ORC International.23Infographic: Find out how Oracle Database Appliance saves time and money by simplifying deployment, maintenance, and support of high-availability workloads.Launch Infographic
A Virtualized Solution-in-a-Box
Oracle Database Appliance was designed specifically for mission-critical business applications in midsize organizations and individual departments in larger enterprises. It supports virtualized workloads, which lets value-added resellers and independent software vendors build applications quickly—without the time and effort usually required to configure and test each database installation.
With the addition of a virtual platform option, Oracle Database Appliance provides the virtualization capabilities of Oracle VM—built in and already integrated. Customers can quickly deploy a complete, highly available solution to remote branch offices where IT resources and the size of the IT footprint may be a challenge.Video: "We achieved a 50 percent reduction in capital expenditures by choosing Oracle Database Appliance."Jeff Schulte, VP of Scalability and Architecture for Operations, YodleeWatch the Video (8:12)24
"Leveraging the world's most popular database on industry-leading hardware in one plug-and-go appliance significantly reduces risk and complexity for my customers."Wade Nicolas, President, Enkitec
Capacity-on-Demand Software Licensing Model
When what you need is a high-availability database that's easy to use, fast to deploy, and cost-efficient to buy, Oracle Database Appliance offers a solution that lets you buy what you need now, and then scale seamlessly as your business grows.
The capacity-on-demand software licensing model used by Oracle lets you decide how much product you need. You license—and pay for—from 2 to 48 cores. If your needs change later, you simply license and "turn on" as many additional cores as you need. There's no hardware to buy, and no need to shut down the system for an upgrade.Product Assessment Tool: Is Oracle Database Appliance the right choice for your business? Take five minutes to learn the answer.Start Your Assessment25
You can deploy Oracle Database Appliance in a single operation because Oracle has completely automated the setup for you—including all configurations for the clustered database. Managing Oracle Database Appliance is easy because time-consuming DBA tasks are automated with the Appliance Manager feature. And to help you resolve problems, Oracle Database Appliance has built-in diagnostics that can automatically contact Oracle Support and relay the information needed for a fast resolution.Appliance Manager takes care of time-consuming DBA tasks for you.Read More
Simply plug it in and answer a few questions via the installation wizard. (Allow an hour if you know the answers—two if you have to look them up.) When you finish, just click the button. It really is that simple.“Our recent upgrade to Oracle Database Appliance has provided a significant leap in performance, availability, and security, while the rapid deployment capabilities allowed us to confidently meet our annual seasonal peak sales period."Casey McCarthy, CTO, Uncommon Goods
Simple, reliable, affordable database solutions. Oracle Database Appliance.26
It's all there. A best-in-class enterprise BI platform, in-memory analytics software, and industry-changing hardware—all engineered to work together to provide extremely fast solutions for BI, modeling, forecasting, and planning. Put it to work right out of the box—you'll be amazed at how much faster your existing analytics processes can run.
Business Analytics in the Extreme
Your best analysts can work smarter (and faster) because your IT group has deployed the extreme performance of Oracle Exalytics. Your sales and marketing teams can identify new customers and new revenue opportunities, and you can lower your operational costs and reduce your overall risk with this preconfigured, pretested, preoptimized engineered system from Oracle.Video: Simplify your business with Oracle business analytics. With Oracle Exalytics, your organization can keep costs down for your discovery, business intelligence, and planning applications without sacrificing performance or data quality.Watch the Video (2:52)27
With Oracle Exalytics In-Memory Machine, extreme performance means
Knowledge workers gain better insight when the information they consume is delivered in a format and via delivery channels tailored to their specific role, preference, and experience level.See More28
- Speed-of-thought analysis. Oracle Exalytics starts working even before you click Go. It suggests connections and enables interactive, real-time analysis that helps users visualize and explore patterns and trends.
- Mobile BI. Any content available in Oracle Business Intelligence Foundation Suite is available to mobile users without change, letting users perform analytics anywhere, any time.
- Oracle Hyperion Smart View for Office. Integration with Microsoft Office via a dashboard page and report prompts lets users create BI views directly from Excel and embed both analyses and dashboard pages in the Oracle Business Intelligence Presentation Catalog.
- Advanced data visualization. With enhanced visualization—including trellis reports, performance tiles, and waterfall charts—users can explore, analyze, and interact with even large sets of data to identify outliers and patterns, and then provide actionable insight.
- Information discovery. Easily explore a big variety of data relevant to your business using Oracle Endeca Information Discovery. Unlock insights both inside and external to the enterprise, and get a complete view of the factors affecting your business.
The Richest Experience for Business Intelligence
Oracle Exalytics includes Oracle Business Intelligence Foundation Suite, the industry-leading enterprise BI solution for reporting, ad hoc queries and analysis, online analytical processing (OLAP), dashboards, scorecards, and predictive analytics.Oracle Business Intelligence Foundation Suite has the industry's best-in-class server technology for relational and multidimensional analysis.Read More
Taking Away the Limits3-D Product Demo: Look inside Oracle Exalytics X3-4.Launch Demo3-D Product Demo: Look inside Oracle Exalytics T5-8.Launch Demo29
Applications can use data from any source—including other connected databases, data warehouses, OLAP applications, and third-party datasources—so your analysis is not limited to data currently stored in memory.
For example, many organizations close their books at the end of each quarter so they can process the multitude of reports that show the current state of their business. But what if you didn't have to wait until the end of the quarter to get those reports? What if you could virtually close your books at the end of each month? Or in the middle of the week? Or anytime? With Oracle Exalytics, these scenarios aren't just possible, they're routine.
Lower Cost with Extreme Performance
Faster analytics means more data analyzed, more users supported, and more-timely reports. With improvements in efficiencies for both IT and the business side of the organization, Oracle Exalytics provides a lower total cost of ownership and a faster return on your investment.Video: "The next best solution in front of us probably was in the neighborhood of US$2 to $3 million more than the Exalytics solution."Darryl LaGace, CIO, San Diego Unified School DistrictWatch the Video (1:37)
Advanced analytics with speed-of-thought visualization. Only from Oracle.30
You've invested in collecting big data because you know it holds valuable information about your customers and your competition. By combining insight gleaned from big data with the traditional transactional data already available in your business, you can capitalize on previously hidden relationships and get a real competitive advantage.
The Challenge of Big Data
Everyone agrees on the benefits of big data—and the challenges. With big data growing at such unprecedented rates, how can businesses work fast enough to turn big data into the insight that can help them effectively compete in today's rapidly changing marketplace?31
The challenge facing business is finding an efficient, cost-effective, and timely way to make big data accessible to users. When your users are able to use and analyze big data—along with other enterprise data—they can uncover new insight about your business. Oracle Big Data Appliance helps you answer this challenge by providing a solution that brings the value of big data to the enterprise.What Makes Big Data Big?Read More
The Solution for Big Data
With Oracle Big Data Appliance, extreme performance means quickly getting real business value from your big data—rapidly provisioning a single system that's scalable, highly available, and optimized to transform massive amounts of data into usable information.
With the in-a-box simplicity that's characteristic of all Oracle engineered systems, Oracle Big Data Appliance takes care of all the "heavy lifting" associated with making big data available to your users, including
- Acquiring and managing all types of data (both structured and unstructured) from a variety of sources
- Performing an initial analysis and organizing the data
- Making the data immediately available for SQL queries or loading into an Oracle data warehouse for integrated analysis with other enterprise data
The Big Picture for Big Data
Oracle Big Data Appliance is part of a total platform that includes Oracle Exadata, Oracle Exalytics, and Oracle Big Data Connectors (software for easily integrating Oracle Database and Hadoop). Oracle Big Data Appliance comes with a full set of software to work with big data, including
3-D Product Demo: Look inside Oracle Big Data Appliance.Launch DemoVideo: InfoSys discusses the benefits of Oracle Big Data Appliance.Watch the Video (1:50)33
- Cloudera's Distribution, including Apache Hadoop (CDH)
- Cloudera Manager for clusterwide administration and monitoring of CDH
- Oracle NoSQL Database for fast, low-latency access to massive amounts of data, and for supporting data retrieval and data updates
- The Oracle R distribution for statistical analysis of big data using the R language
Build It Yourself or Use It Now?White Paper: "ESG believes that for a true enterprise-class big data project of medium complexity, Oracle Big Data Appliance will deliver nearly 40 percent cost savings versus IT architecting, designing, procuring, configuring, and implementing its own big data infrastructure.""Getting Real About Big Data: Build Versus Buy" by Evan Quinn, Senior Principal Analyst at Enterprise Strategy Group, February 2013.Read the White Paper
Oracle Big Data Appliance helps reduce the risks and operating costs of making big data a valuable asset for your business. With Oracle Big Data Appliance there's no need for you to
- Choose and configure hardware
- Figure out the correct open source components and versions
- Integrate, tune, and optimize the system
When you compare building a big data system from scratch to using the prepackaged, preassembled, and preintegrated Oracle Big Data Appliance, you can easily see how cost-effective it can be to have a complete system of optimized hardware and comprehensive, preconfigured software that will acquire, organize, and do the initial analysis of your big data in one engineered system.
Getting business value from big data. Oracle Big Data Appliance.34
It's the hardware and software, engineered to work together, that delivers unmatched customer value throughout the Oracle technology stack. And it's that same engineering—along with groundbreaking technology—that lets Oracle ZFS Storage Appliance ZS3 series offer extreme storage capabilities to customers using network-attached storage (NAS) for enterprise applications, cloud computing, virtualization, storage consolidation, and data protection.Video: Hal Moretto of SunGard declared Oracle ZFS Storage Appliance “the perfect fit” for his company’s critical backup and disaster recovery requirements.Hal Moretto, SunGard Availability ServicesWatch the Video (2:48)
It just makes sense. When you compress data more efficiently, you need less hardware to store the data and less time to access it. You also need fewer resources to manage it.35
When you compress data using Oracle Hybrid Columnar Compression and store the results on Oracle ZFS Storage Appliance, you get extreme storage capabilities that are cost-efficient, space-efficient, and significantly faster.Oracle ZFS Storage Appliance products are the only NAS solutions to offer this game-changing compression technology.Read More"Now we can restore full copies of our Exadata databases to this device [Oracle ZFS Storage Appliance], run it with Oracle Hybrid Columnar Compression in place, do all our testing, and use the same release of software. It solved a major problem for us in a very inexpensive way."Douglas Miller, Director, Global Database Development and Operations, R.L. Polk
Extreme Performance, Best Value
To increase performance, Oracle ZFS Storage Appliance leverages a multithreaded operating system, software optimizations, and a scalable, high-throughput, Flash-optimized hybrid design that’s able to service 70 to 90 percent of data from DRAM.36
Using this innovative architecture, Oracle ZFS Storage Appliance is the only storage system with leading performance and price/performance results in the industry-standard benchmarks for file serving and high-bandwidth streaming I/O workloads.1
The family of Oracle ZFS Storage Appliance products easily handles heavily virtualized environments characterized by random, high-burst I/O. In addition, tight integration with Oracle Database means superior NAS performance and efficiency—with a TCO that’s lower than competitive systems.Article: High performance with exceptional efficiency. Competitive NAS filers can cost as much as 266 percent more to own and operate.Read the ArticleArticle: Oracle ZFS Storage Appliance ZS3 series offers tier 1 performance at tier 3 prices.Read the Article37
Only Oracle ZFS Storage Appliance has deep integration with Oracle Database 12c that lets it pretune and preconfigure itself to the incoming data—removing 65 percent of the manual tuning generally required to optimize storage performance for database workloads. Oracle uses game-changing technologies, such as Oracle Intelligent Storage Protocol, to make a direct database-to-storage communication path and pass critical metadata to Oracle storage.Video: Oracle ZFS Storage Appliance for Oracle Database.Watch the Video (3:40)“[Oracle Intelligent Storage Protocol] is like Oracle has a Bat Phone to the mayor’s office while everyone else is on rotary dial.”Dave Vellante, Wikibon AnalystLearn More38
Oracle ZFS Storage Appliance products are the ideal data protection companions for both Oracle engineered systems and high-performance server environments. Direct InfiniBand connectivity and an innovative, Flash-optimized architecture drive extremely high backup and restore rates, helping you meet critical backup and restore SLAs—without the risk of costly third-party systems.
As a result, you see a TCO that’s significantly less than the competition. And, because Oracle Hybrid Columnar Compression is preserved throughout the backup process, you also get a smaller footprint that lets you avoid overprovisioning your storage just to accommodate backups.
Optimize Your Data Center
With less hardware, a smaller footprint, streamlined operations, and leading price/performance numbers, Oracle ZFS Storage Appliance is perfect for consolidating storage in the data center. Customers use Oracle ZFS Storage Appliance products to
39Oracle ZFS Storage Appliance includes DTrace Analytics to provide comprehensive information about any area of your storage system.Read More
- Maximize Oracle Database efficiency
- Deliver maximum application performance
- Support heavily virtualized environments
- Simplify development, test, and QA environments
- Reduce data center resource consumption
- Lower management costs
- Meet SLAs and backup windows with confidence
Like all of Oracle’s engineered systems, Oracle ZFS Storage Appliance includes everything you need for fast, simple deployment. Integrated, efficient, extreme storage. Only from Oracle.40
Hardware and software, engineered to work together from applications to disk—all from a single vendor. Only from Oracle.
Oracle designs complete systems, engineered to work together and integrated to reduce IT complexity. Oracle engineered systems offer
- Extreme performance. Oracle's engineered systems are optimized to achieve performance levels that are unmatched in the industry. Components at all levels of the technology stack are fine-tuned to deliver extreme performance that no other vendor can duplicate.
- In-a-box simplicity. Oracle's engineered systems help reduce your time to productivity because everything you need for your solution is included. You don't have to spend weeks (or months) procuring all the pieces and making sure they work together—it's already done for you.
- Complete stack solutions. Oracle architects, implements, and maintains the entire technology stack, so Oracle customers benefit from the reduced complexity that goes along with having an integrated, single-vendor solution from applications to disk.
Oracle's support services experts are focused on delivering rapid time to value and reduced risk. And when it comes to keeping your Oracle engineered systems running at peak performance, Oracle is uniquely qualified to provide the most complete, integrated, and proactive support experience available.41Video: Get faster migration for less cost with Oracle Migration Factory.Watch the Video (1:30)
The Oracle Support Advantage
With multivendor systems, there's always the question of which vendor to call for support, and who to contact to help make things run better. With Oracle's engineered systems, you contact one vendor for service and support. You get industry-leading response times with no complex vendor hand offs or time-consuming finger-pointing—just one vendor supporting the entire stack from applications to disk.
Fact: Since 2002, Oracle has won more awards for customer support than any other technology company.
Oracle offers the most-integrated support solutions in the industry, with comprehensive lifecycle services that help you take full advantage of the extreme performance of Oracle’s engineered systems.42
Video: TIAA-CREF increased uptime and performance by leveraging a solution support center and advanced support engineers both onsite and remotely from Oracle Advanced Customer Support Services.Watch the Video (2:15)43
- Oracle Premier Support. Complete support essentials with 24/7 coverage and proactive resources to help resolve issues before they become problems. Read More
- Oracle Platinum Services. Enhanced support services with remote fault monitoring, industry-leading response and restore times, and patching services—exclusively available at no extra charge to qualifying Oracle Premier Support customers. Learn More
- Oracle Advanced Customer Support Services. Tailored, mission-critical support services to help you maintain and maximize the performance of all Oracle mission-critical systems. Learn More
- Oracle Optimized Data Center Training and Certification. Develop the expertise you need to transform your existing infrastructure with courses from Oracle University. Drive your optimized data center strategy forward, accelerating your business innovation and growth. Learn More
High-Availability Support—No Additional Cost
Oracle Platinum Services is a special entitlement available to Oracle Premier Support customers running certified configurations on Oracle's engineered systems. Oracle Platinum Services offers customers access to valuable support services under their existing support agreement—at no extra cost. In addition to receiving the complete support essentials with Oracle Premier Support, qualifying Oracle Platinum Services customers also receive
Video: "The [Oracle] Platinum Services offering has been a great addition to Oracle Premier Support. Our experience has exceeded my expectations."Vincent Biddlecombe, CTO, TransplaceWatch the Video (2:09)44
- 24/7 Oracle remote fault monitoring
- Patch deployment
- Industry-leading response and restore times
- 5-minute fault notification
- 15-minute restoration or escalation to development
- 30-minute joint debugging with development